Dedicated to the passion, promotion and education of the Blues; Live, Virtual, International. For all blues fans, DJ's, musicians, promoters, educators, and 501(C)3's who appreciate eclectic, discriminating, genuine, fresh and often random articles.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Cruisin' For Some Bluesin'

What happens when you cross a Chicago Winter with a serious case of wander lust?

You email Leanne at http://www.bluescruise.com/ and ask if there are any last minute cancellations for this weekend. Even the most spontaneous of us, might just need an extra day, or 60 to get a passport. But, it is a darn good cure for the Winter Blues, and as I gazed over the fall cruise, I saw I could spend the week with not only Kenny Wayne Sheppard and those Baker Brooks Fellas, which truly is my idea of heaven, but you also get to see Buckwheat Zydeco, Susan Tedeschi, Elvin Bishop, Tommy Castro, Rod Piazza, Fiona Boyes, and the IBC winner from Memphis the first weekend in February. And, Cabo San Lucas. Did I book it? You will just have to see in October!

Then, I thought anywhere South, and soon would do. Remembering The Blues Foundation and their "Battle of The Blues," or more formally known as, The IBC (International Blues Challenge) was set to occur I had to look them up as I recalled Beale Street, my first bowl of grits, greens, and something with pork innards. Mmm...I love Memphis. This year, there is exciting news! They will also have a youth showcase encouraging and ensuring another generation of Blues Lovers out there! Looking to contribute? Email Joe Whitmer, the Event Producer, for volunteer opportunities. Be sure to include your phone number. joe@blues.org I was all set to email him, and glanced at my wretched calendar. Unfortunately, I am in Wisconsin that weekend, enjoying Celtic Music! Slainte!


I resigned myself to staying local, and glanced over who was playing where and when. I am already yearning for the Chicago Blues Fest experience. I liked the crowd size of the very first one, yes I was there, but you know, they just get better and better. And this year is looking like no exception. And, it is free! To, all my blues loving friends in Second Life, I dare you, bring your non-pixel selves out to the Windy City and catch some authentic Chicago Blues!

http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/event_landing/special_events/mose/chicago_blues_festival.html


If I am not going to travel, I at least want virtual blues and a CHICAGO BLUES RADIO STATION! I have been a long time Atlanta Blues Society radio listener, and finding replacements is a task. Here are a couple suggestions for those of you who need your blues fix to function.

http://www.theworldofblues.com/

http://www.bluesradio.co.uk

Songs I heard and liked today -
Kenny Neal - "Let Life Flow"

Bryan Lee - "Don't Bite the Hand That Feeds You"

Delbert McClinton - "The Part I Like Best"

Tab Benoit - "Don't Make No Sense"

My "New Find of the Day" hails from Finland! No, seriously. Go to their page. Really, I insist. www.myspace.com/blueslovers www.blueslovers.org They made my bookmarks AND friends list.

And on that note, it is a good time, to love the blues. Obama likes his Wang Dang Doodle. My Harmonica playing friend in England has the finest Scratchy collection of anyone I know. I am blown away by the fact Blues truly is an international and inter-generational genre, coming from its roots in Southern Black Slavery. Fortunately, similar to American Politics, both have successfully transcended barriers.

Skin Deep, Blues Lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to comment.