Dedicated to the passion, promotion and education of the Blues; Live, Virtual, International. For all blues fans, DJ's, musicians, promoters, educators, and 501(C)3's who appreciate eclectic, discriminating, genuine, fresh and often random articles.

Friday, February 27, 2009

A Perfect 10

I thought I knew a lot about female Blues singers. But one day, I stopped and froze with the realization I didn't know who was singing. It wasn't Koko, Etta, Saphire, Janis, Bonnie Raitt, Rory Block, Susan Tedeschi, Shemika or Debra Davies. And it certainly wasn't any of the Blues Mavens from the 1920's and 1930's.

Feeling the need to expand my limited knowledge, I spent a month searching and listening to songs belonging to my underdeveloped category of Blues - Contemporary Female Blues, to find my new Top 10. Hope you enjoy, I sure did!

Candye Kane "White Trash Girl" 2005 I know an online community that song had to be made for!

Saffire The Uppity Blues Women "Nothing in Your House" Havin' The Last Word 2009

Teeny Tucker "Sassy Momma" & "Unlucky Girl" Two Big M's 2008

Roxy Perry "Easy For You" In My Own Sweet Time 2008

Teresa James "I know Handsome When I see It" The Bottom Line 2007

Shirley Brown "Poon Tang Man" Woman Enough! 2005

Timothea "I'm Still Standing" 2004

Norah Jones "What Am I To You?" 2004

Sue Foley "Hitting on Nothing" Time Bomb 2007

Mavis Staples "Step Into The Light" Have A Little Faith 2004

"I am a blues woman. I lay my soul bare. I have no shame."
~ Gaye Adegbalola, from her new release, "Gaye Without Shame."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to comment.